Photo

How do I know If I have firewall installed ???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kerry

kerry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

Hi, can anyone tell me how I find out if I have a firewall installed on my computer (Works One), its running windows 98 SE. I know how to do it on XP.
I want to turn it off, because I'm trying to install Livebox from wanadoo for broadband, & i keep getting error message that says Turn off firewall
Hope someone can help
Thanks in advance
Kerry

#2 Chrisb

Chrisb

Super Moderator

• Super moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:11 PM

Hi Kerry, as it's a work PC you may be behind a hardware firewall if the PC is on a network.

If a software one is installed there will be an icon in the system tray[next to the clock].

Place your mouse over the icons and a box will appear telling you what each one is, when you find the firewall right click on it and select disable or stop.

You do need to check you have the correct permissions to install software and/or disable the firewall, some companies deem it to be gross misconduct tampering with work PC's.
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Success isn't permanent, and failure isn't fatal.

DOWNLOADS PAGE

Posted Image

#3 kerry

kerry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

Hi, Thanks for the reply, the comp is not on a network, its my hubby's business ! I'll look tomorrow to see if there are any icons in tray, but I'm pretty sure there isn't !
I've searched everywhere on the computer for firewalls, but can't find any, but this livebox just won't install coz of the firewall !! Do you have any other ideas for me to try ????
Thanks
Kerry

#4 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

Are you on XP, and if so do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

If you have, go to Start | Control Panel and click on the Security Center icon, have a check in the firewall section there
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

#5 Chrisb

Chrisb

Super Moderator

• Super moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:11 PM

Kerry, if you have[and I hope you do! :swot: ] anti-virus running, it might be worth stopping that temporarily to see if that helps it to install.

As a foot note; when you do eventually get up and running you should consider a firewall if you don't have one.

Follow the link in my sig to the downloads page, I personally use Sygate Personal Firewall - it's free as well. :hmm:
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Success isn't permanent, and failure isn't fatal.

DOWNLOADS PAGE

Posted Image

#6 pogue

pogue

Minor Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

what's the make/model of pc?

I have seen issues with wanadoo (freeserve) and packard bell pc's where it would not install because of a registry restriction to do with part of the packard bell software. There was a patch on packard bells website for it. If it is a packard bell then try downloading and running this patch:

http://support.packa...UP04940100#show