How do I restore my advent?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_David S_*

Guest_Guest_David S_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:02 AM

Firstly, I'd like to state that this is meant as a quick and dirty guide to restore advent computers, and if you're having problems you should really be contacting PC World or PC ServiceCall (their warranty support line).

There are three main methods Advent PCs use to restore back to factory settings.
First is through Ghost. usually, you boot from a bootable floppy disk, insert the CD when prompted, and from that a Ghost image of the factory pre-set HDD is copied onto your hard disk drive.

Second is through PowerQuest DriveImage. This one isn't seen so often, but is for all intents and purposes very similar to the Ghost method - boot from a bootable floppy disk or CD, then have the contents of your hard drive overwritten.

Thirdly, the most modern method (also the most complex and IMHO the best method), uses Smart Image. In this case you have a bootable CD with a straight windows image upon it. There are a few different versions, so make sure you have the right version for your PC, but the interesting thing is that you'll either have an update CD, which is model-specific and contains drivers and specific software for your model. If you don't have the update CD, then it's contents will be on the hard drive in a protected folder.
The process for restoring a system with Smart Image is to boot from CD, then select one of three options - non-destructive (which is pretty much useless, again IMO), no-format (which copies ALL your old files into one folder for later sorting), and quick-format (which keeps NONE of your old files).

Hope that helps!