• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 northeao

northeao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

I have a Packard Bell Model CHOP-D10 DV100 S/N 817006190334.
The computer powers up for about 5 seconds and then switches off again. I have tried another PB power supply and the same symptoms, so I have eliminated the power supply. The computer had a massive dust and fluff build up on the Processor fan and also the Power supply Fan. I cleared all this away. What I have noticed is that if I unplug the 4 pin square block 2 x yellow wires and 2 x black wires labelled CPU from the motherboard. The power supply and also the Processor fan continue working and the machine doesn't switch off. I think this points to some sort of problem with the Processor itself, I am wondering if it has some sort of thermal cut off?? that is stuck on. I must also mention that I can't get into the Bios at all as the machine never sends a signal to the monitor or boots up. Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated, Cheers Oliver

#2 Smurf

Smurf

Senior Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

The 4 pin plug you unplugged suppplies power specifically to the cpu, so it wont POST or boot without, so plug it back in.

Did you take the cpu heatsink off while you were cleaning the fan etc, it may not of been reseated correctly and it could be overheating.

When you cleaned the cpu fan did you unscrew it from the heatsink and blow that out too, dust and fluff will collect in between the small fins.

The fact that you cant get into the bios is because the motherboards not completing the POST precdure, hence no monitor display. POST failure could be a number of things, memory faults, voltages wrong(have you changed any before this happened?).

Smurf

#3 northeao

northeao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

The 4 pin plug you unplugged suppplies power specifically to the cpu, so it wont POST or boot without, so plug it back in.

Did you take the cpu heatsink off while you were cleaning the fan etc, it may not of been reseated correctly and it could be overheating.

When you cleaned the cpu fan did you unscrew it from the heatsink and blow that out too, dust and fluff will collect in between the small fins.

The fact that you cant get into the bios is because the motherboards not completing the POST precdure, hence no monitor display. POST failure could be a number of things, memory faults, voltages wrong(have you changed any before this happened?).

Smurf

Hi Smurf, thanks for your swift response, If I plug the 4 pin back in then nothing works after around 5 seconds. totally cleaned CPU fan and also unscrewed it from the Heat sink. All dust gone, the CPU does not power up long enough to overheat. Not changed any components apart from the power supply. Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated it.

Regards Oliver

#4 Ben_Mott

Ben_Mott

IT God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

hello,
did you reseat the CPU & clean the top of CPU and applied new Thermal Paste ??

useful info:

http://www.frozencpu...rmal_Paste.html

Ben

#5 northeao

northeao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

hello,
did you reseat the CPU & clean the top of CPU and applied new Thermal Paste ??

useful info:

http://www.frozencpu...rmal_Paste.html

Ben

Thanks for the response Ben, where can I get Thermal Paste? Not sure if this is the problem as the fault was there before I removed the fan and cleaned it thus breaking the seal on the paste on the CPU. Regards Oliver

Is there anything else that could cause this fault do you think

#6 Ben_Mott

Ben_Mott

IT God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

here is an on line shop sells it

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126410
if you do not use thermal paste your CPU will turn to Biscuit/toast
if it does not post change Bios Battery too with new one
http://www.amazon.co...80358216&sr=8-4

Product Description

Introducing Arctic Silver 5 With its unique high-density filling of micronized silver and enhanced thermally conductive ceramic particles, Arctic Silver 5 provides a new level of performance and stability.

Arctic Silver 5 is optimized for use between modern high-power CPUs and high performance heatsinks or water-cooling solutions.

Arctic Silver 5 does not contain any silicone. The suspension fluid is a proprietary mixture of advanced polysynthetic oils that work together to provide three distinctive functional phases. As it comes from the tube, Arctic Silver 5's consistency is engineered for easy application. During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability.
(This should not be confused with conventional phase change pads that are pre-attached to many heatsinks. Those pads melt each time they get hot then re-solidify when they cool. The viscosity changes that Arctic Silver 5 goes through are much more subtle and ultimately much more effective.)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/72291

PCWoo sells it too it will be few pounds more expensive.

Regards Ben

#7 Mart

Mart

Minor Deity

• Super moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Another option is to clear the cmos which will re-set the bios. There is very often some pins (jumpers) on the motherboard which can be shorted out to do this. If not remove the motherboard battery for a while and make sure the power supply is unplugged.

This should re-set the bios to default settings and can sometimes bring the pc back to life.
Posted Image

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.

#8 mo22a

mo22a

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

I have a Packard Bell Model CHOP-D10 DV100 S/N 817006190334.
The computer powers up for about 5 seconds and then switches off again. I have tried another PB power supply and the same symptoms, so I have eliminated the power supply. The computer had a massive dust and fluff build up on the Processor fan and also the Power supply Fan. I cleared all this away. What I have noticed is that if I unplug the 4 pin square block 2 x yellow wires and 2 x black wires labelled CPU from the motherboard. The power supply and also the Processor fan continue working and the machine doesn't switch off. I think this points to some sort of problem with the Processor itself, I am wondering if it has some sort of thermal cut off?? that is stuck on. I must also mention that I can't get into the Bios at all as the machine never sends a signal to the monitor or boots up. Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated, Cheers Oliver

Hi Oliver.
I have exactly the same problem, Though since cleaning out the fans my computer now stays on but with no power to screen.

I have tried replacing the Motherboard, Hard drive, Processor and power supply and still same problem, i am totally confused and keep wasting money on new parts. Please let me know if you figure it out.