5 replies to this topic

#1 grayfly

grayfly

Technical Assistant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

I need to set up members only pages on our website using recurring paypal annual memberships. I would want the system to take care of password details, forgotten passwords, and membership renewals. I am unsure what would be the best option, download appropriate software on a one off basis or use an online system for a monthly rental. We have about 800 members.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Are there other options?

Regards

#2 passingthrough

passingthrough

Technical Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

That would really depend on what your actually looking for, if you have a budget for it and if you have any coding knowledge.

I use software called Interspire shopping cart that can handle recurring payments and subscriptions etc.

If your looking to drop this into a already built site then it would depend on how the site is built, for example is it already in a CMS, is it a static site, if it is a static site are the pages .php or .html, does it already have a member system ??

If the site is static and build in html ( IE all the pages end in .htm or .html ) then it would require you either rebuilding the entire site or adding a extra members area outside of the main site.

If you already have a member system then you could use paypal that can handle the subscriptions and payment, then just add them to a new group manually when you get conformation that they have paid however this would take alot of management as you would also have to remove them if they don't re pay a year / month later.

The more info you can give about the setup you already have or if you are prepared for a complete rebuild then the better advice can be given.

#3 grayfly

grayfly

Technical Assistant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

The intention is to build an additional site for members using html as I have very little (none) coding knowledge. Basically a blank sheet at present. I just want the members area accessed via username & password and have an annual automated rejoining system.

#4 passingthrough

passingthrough

Technical Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

You cant build a members area using HTML, in order to have a members area you need to communicate with a database so it would have to be in a language that can, ie PHP, Pearl etc.

The best bet really would be to use a cms that already has the ability to handle it and I would recommend something like Modx ( http://modxcms.com/ ), this is about as easy as it could get for you, simply copy your HTML into the templates and use their couple of calls to generate the navigation ( wayfinder ) and then use WebloginPE to get the member system up and running.

It looks a little scarey at first but the support on the forum is one of the best I have come across, and once you get your head round how things work ( a few hours reading through the forums ) you will be flying.

#5 grayfly

grayfly

Technical Assistant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look at that.

#6 Mr Taylor

Mr Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Cycling<br />Formula 1<br />Technology<br />Investing<br />Fun<br />Humor

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

I no longer operate my membership site; but, when I did, I used a product called Amember from CGI Central. I think it's at amember.com. I liked it a lot, very flexible and no operational problems.

My site was driven by Wordpress, and the product I had in 2nd place was called Member Wing. I chose Amember because it has affiliate features built into it; whereas, I would have had to purchase a 3rd party affiliate package and integrate with Member Wing.

HTH
Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy.
Video Converter