• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jurdz

Jurdz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

Ive just purchased a parallel to USB cable cos my missus' laptop doesnt have a parallel port.

Connected the cable to the laptop - windows finds the cable and installs the driver (USB Printing Support) automatically (no need for the disc that came with the cable)

Connected the cable to the printer and swiched on. Windows finds the printer and installs the windows driver for the BJC.

Now when I try to print anything, the paper gets drawn through the printer and just at the point when it should start printing - nothing - just a blinking power light.

Any ideas? Ive tried turning off/on bi directional support but no change. There doesnt seem to be any other options to change.

Is there a better driver for the BJC80 than the windows inbuilt driver that may solve the issue?

#2 Jurdz

Jurdz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

First of all, apologies.

I found information here

http://www.uktsuppor...on/bj/bjc80.htm

on this site. Its all to do with no usb support in ANY of the BJC80 drivers. So I have to install the BJC85 drivers instead by manually adding a printer.

Windows still installs the BJC80 on the same port as the BJC85 after I reboot though. How do I stop this happening?

#3 Mart

Mart

Minor Deity

• Super moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

Not done this fix myself, but do you need to delete the BJC80 option in Printers in the Control Panel, or Start > Printers And Faxes.
Posted Image

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.

#4 Jurdz

Jurdz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Yep. I did that but it came back and installed again.

I got round it this way:

Deleted the BJC85 and the BJC80

Rebooted and allowed the BJC80 to self install.

Went to the driver section of the printer properties and changed the driver to BJC85.

All fine and dandy now.

Please note that if you already have another printer attached to a USB port, dont delete all the USB printer ports.

#5 Bevelyn

Bevelyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

I got round it this way:

Went to the driver section of the printer properties and changed the driver to BJC85.

All fine and dandy now.

Please note that if you already have another printer attached to a USB port, dont delete all the USB printer ports.

#6 Bevelyn

Bevelyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

I got round it this way:

All fine and dandy now.

Hi - Were you using Vista please? My new laptop also does not have a parallel port so I am needing to buy the USB to DB25 able to connect my BJC-80 to it. I am trying to find a "free" driver for Vista for my laptop to download. Any ideas? Thanks.

#7 namit

namit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

WOOOOO.....

That works for me changed the drivers to to BJC-85 for a BJC-80 printer and its working a treat :dizzy:

I got round it this way:

All fine and dandy now.

Hi - Were you using Vista please? My new laptop also does not have a parallel port so I am needing to buy the USB to DB25 able to connect my BJC-80 to it. I am trying to find a "free" driver for Vista for my laptop to download. Any ideas? Thanks.

#8 Clarkey

Clarkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

Many thanks to Charles Lewis for posting under a General heading I believe:

"Canon apparently didn't supply any BJC-80 USB drivers for 2000/XP. The following is the most straightforward, get-to-it way I've found to use a USB driver and cable with a Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-80 printer and Windows XP. All we're doing is using the BJC-85 USB driver for the predecessor BJC-80. I haven't tested this with twenty-hundred."
followed by detailed "dummy guide".

I bought a Canon BJC 80 off ebay for 18 with postage - OK I know you get what you pay for but only as a cheap option for when abroad. It duly arrived 3 days later - no cable. Could not get it to print wireless, so earlier I bought a usb/parallel cable for 8.99. Still no printing.

Followed Charles Lewis suggestion and hey presto all Hunky Dory now! So not a duff cheap buy after all.

Many thanks to all concerned.

By and by I am using Vista.

Sue Clarke