Photo

Advent system restore problem. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gmbunn

gmbunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

Hello all,

Im in a right pickle with my Advent 7109. My son tried to install windows XP home edition on the model, which already had windows media center edition. Problem is that now, my entire system is acting very weird, hanging a lot, crashing etc. So i wanted to restore the factory settings but i didnt receive a disk when i purchased it and the 'system recovery' option isnt in the program list anymore. Also i do not have a system restore point far enough back.

When the laptop boots up ive tried pressing F10 but nothing happens. I also get the choice of which operating system to start, but the media center one dosent load properly anymore!

Its a right mess and i'd really appreciate it if anybody has any idea how to restore the factory settings another way?

Thanks

Gary

#2 Ben_Mott

Ben_Mott

IT God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

7109 Advent notebook recovery

http://www.pcservice...f-af864dd75743}

if F10 does notwork it means the the recovery partition is lost /destroyed /do not exist any more/
and you need to purchase the recovery CDs and Update Cd
http://www.pcservice.../recoverymedia/

#3 luigione

luigione

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:29 AM

Or if you still have the COA under the laptop, then simply get hold of a copy of the XP install disk and do a clean install. Don't worry about using a copy, as the COA under your laptop is what legitimizes your software. then follow links on left to your laptop and download drivers. I would suggest however that you dowload drivers before doing anything as the most important one would be your network driver.
Hope this helps.

#4 Ben_Mott

Ben_Mott

IT God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

Advent users
I've seen many Advent users struggle to find drivers for their machines after they have put XP pro on or recovery disks have not loaded the drivers for devices ( in which sometimes they will need to purchase update cd's).
On a lot of Advents these days you will find a folder on the root of the C drive called applications. This contains drivers and some program setup files. While the machine is in a working state I would advise to backup that applications folder and burn it to cdr. Then you'll always have a backup of the software and drivers and save the frustration of having to search for driver

#5 _steve_

_steve_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

Advent users
I've seen many Advent users struggle to find drivers for their machines after they have put XP pro on or recovery disks have not loaded the drivers for devices ( in which sometimes they will need to purchase update cd's).
On a lot of Advents these days you will find a folder on the root of the C drive called applications. This contains drivers and some program setup files. While the machine is in a working state I would advise to backup that applications folder and burn it to cdr. Then you'll always have a backup of the software and drivers and save the frustration of having to search for driver

true but most of the drivers thats in that dir is totaly out of date, normally the ones that come with windows are more upto date